Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

There's no need to fear... an update is here

I'm alive... for now. I am graduating on May 8th so things have been hella busy for me lately. I have failed on my promise to provide you fine people with all my movie lists in 2 weeks. The lists are on my desktop as sticky notes. I just haven't accumulated the pictures and written the blogs yet, but they will come.

I had my very last newscast for CMU on Wednesday (sadness) but its all good. Hopefully I can get a job doing what I love on air sometime in the near future. I am pretty torn about finding a job. Of course I am applying for on air positions but I don't know if I should also apply for producing jobs. I like doing both but reporting is what I really want to do, and I'm afraid that if I get a job producing I'll get stuck and never go for what I really want. Then again, if I get a job as a producer I'll know when talent positions open up and the company will already know my work ethic. I don't know, I'm so torn.

All this graduating business is kinda starting to freak me out... OK I lied, not kinda, more like MAJORLY freaking me out. I'm having a pre-mid-life crisis. I don't know where I am going to live after my lease is up where I live now.
I've been thinking a lot about moving home but there are a lot of downsides to it. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents but I like feeling independent.

Downsides to moving home:
1. I'll lose my bridge card and my parents will make me get most of my own groceries
2. They're going to make me start paying my car insurance (which isn't cheap)
3. I'll have to go through the hassle of moving all my crap 2 hours down to Whitmore Lake from Mt. Pleasant
4. They have two extremely annoying birds including a cockatoo which never shuts up
5. I like living away from home and I already came back for a year and don't want to do that anymore I like having my own place
6. I will have to try to transfer Meijers which doesn't sound too bad but the Meijer that I transfer to will have to allow it and they'll have to have an opening for me in the photo lab and that's a lot of hassle as well.

Upsides to moving home:
1. no rent (i think)
2. no gas/electric/cable etc bills
3. closer to my friends from back home
4. I'd get to see my family more aka every day

I don't know what I am going to do yet. I can't afford to live on my own on my Meijer salary. But I don't have anyone to live with (not to mention I've had roommate issues in the past so I'm scared about living with people). With the way the job market is in my profession its not likely I will have a job by the time my lease is up in June so I won't be able to afford a place on my own... I think. I'm going to keep checking and hope I find something, not necessarily in Mount Pleasant but somewhere.

Any advice, comments or suggestions would be appreciated :)

P.S. You don't have to be a member of this site to comment.

2 comments:

  1. becky!

    i could totally see you as a reporter/news anchor! my advice to you would be to apply to both on-air and producing jobs. take what you can get at the moment, and work you way on up from there.

    i'm just as scared to graduate (may 7th)... i've also put it off for as long as possible. i dont want to grow up and be an adult!

    anyways, i miss you and would love to catch up sometime!

    good luck!

    - kellie brang

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok so you kinda snagged me with the moving to whitmore lake thing since thats where my GF lives. If you do decide on moving home you'll be close to ypsi, which if you dont get a job I might be able to help you get a temporary full time job. Mckinley, a 15 state wide version of united apartments, is the company i work for and they have an opening online for a leasing office employee at an apartment complex I use to work at until i got transferred. I get paid 10.50 an hour as a tech and leasers usually make 10 plus 100 bucks for each one they sell. If you end up having to find a job to make some money let me know if your interested in this and I'll get in contact with my old boss and my uncle who is the VP of the region.

    otherwise good luck! you shouldnt worry tho, you've got the talent for on air talent.
    wow that was corney.

    Ahmad Bajjey

    ReplyDelete