Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

That Guy...Who Was in That Thing

It's no secret that I want to be an actor. Why? Well, because it's what I love to do.

I've already kicked myself from shying away from it for so long. In high school I did theatre and was on the forensics team (competitive acting team) and it was my intended major in college but I had a horrible teacher in one of my first classes that scared me away from it, so I switched my major and ended up getting a degree in Broadcast and Cinematic Arts with a minor in Cinema Studies.

Since then, I have regretted my decision to stop acting and after a while in the "real" world I have realized that I will never be completely happy doing anything other than acting.

I know the odds of "making it" and while every actor's dream is to make it big and be a star, I know that if I could at least make a living as a working actor (which is really freaking hard to do) I will feel so fulfilled. So that's what I am going to attempt to do.

I have absolutely nothing to lose so, why not?

Anyway, there is this Showtime documentary called "That Guy... Who Was in That Thing." It is a must see for anyone who wants to be an actor. This documentary details the career ups and downs of sixteen working actors. These people are not leading actors but once you see them, you will recognize them as "Oh, it's that one guy!"



These men give it to you straight. How they started, the audition process, the pay scale, how often they are and aren't employed and everything they have gone through to get where they're at now. It is very informative and a little scary for someone like me who wants to do this and is on her way to try and make it happen. But I feel like it is very encouraging, these guys have been through it all and are still happy with their chosen career.

I know it's not going to be easy or glamorous but as I said before, I have nothing to lose and nothing to hold me back.

Even if you don't want to be an actor, I highly recommend this documentary. Here is a link to the IMDB page if you want to check out more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402200/

I watched this for a second time today so it was still fresh in my mind and wanted to share! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment