Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Movies You Probably Haven't Seen...

As most of you know, I'm a pretty big film viewer. Cinema Studies is my minor and most of my life I've wanted to work in film. So needless to say, I watch a lot of movies. For fun I've been trying to compile a top ten list of my favorite movies in each genre and over the next two weeks I will post those lists here.

My first list is NOT a top ten list, I just realized that I have seen a lot of random movies in my life and some of them are movies most normal non film people have never seen or even heard of. So for fun I thought I'd list them here. I would like to thank my dad for introducing me to most of these :)

As to those who I know read my blog: Eric, you are an avid film viewer and since one day we will make a movie together I recommend all of these movies to you. I know your taste in film from what I've read of your blog and I know you will enjoy most of these. Andrew, you're in a few of my film classes and it seems like you like some films that are out of the ordinary so I recommend these to you as well. Kevin Smith, I know you have seen some of these because I have had a few film classes with you as well, you would probably enjoy some of these immensely... probably. Annie, I don't know if you would like some of these because I'm not sure what your gross out factor is Cemetery Man might be a little too odd or gross but I know you're awesome so if Eric checks any of these out... then you should too. Everyone else... if you like movies that are a little out there, not Oscar material but still enjoyable none the less then check these out.



Ravenous (1999)
A delectable film aboout cannibalism.


Dellamorte Dellamore (1994)
American title: Cemetery Man. You'll never look at Rupert Everett the same way again. An often overlooked zombie dark comedy. Evil Dead fans... check this one out.


They Call Me Trinity (1970)
A hilarious spaghetti western that I came to love as a child. Its a really bad movie and probably everyone else in the world hates it but me and my dad. haha


Trinity Is Still My Name (1971)
The outlaws are back... a decent sequel to follow up the first film. :) Once again... hilarious but still really bad.


Clash of the Titans (1981)
Not a well made movie... at all. Probably why they are re-making it. But it is a classic. I grew up with this movie and even though its bad, its good... if that makes any sense.


Drop Dead Fred (1991)
One of my favorite movies of all time. Laugh out loud funny. When I was little I would pretend that Drop Dead Fred was my imaginary friend. They are thinking of re-making this movie with Russell Brand as Fred... which in my opinion would be a good fit. It wasn't until I was older and rewatched this that I realized how many dirty jokes there were in this film!


Westworld (1973)
Excellent sci-fi thriller! I highly recommend this one if you haven't seen it. The Simpsons parodies this movie in one of their episodes where the robots at Itchy and Scratchy Land malfunction and run amuck.


They Live (1988)
An awesome cult classic sci-fi film starring 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper. It is actually a very good film with an underlying message. Not to mention it contains one of the best fights of all time!! It has several awesome memorable quotes including the best known: "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum." Go watch this movie... right now.


Night of the Lepus (1972)
This movie is terrible and poorly made and acted BUT it terrified me as a child. Giant, killer bunnies. It stars Janet Leigh (the woman who gets hacked up in Psycho and Jamie Leigh Curtis' mother).


Crazy People (1990)
This movie is pretty hit or miss with people. I watched it in one of my media classes at Washtenaw C.C. If you don't understand the humor, you'll hate it.


The Dream Team (1989)
I watched this movie in psychology class in high school. Its hilarious! Michael Keaton, Christopher LLoyd, and Peter Boyle are fantastic. Four patients from the nut house witness a crime and are left wandering the streets of New York... I wonder what kind of trouble they can get in!! :)


Waterloo Bridge (1940)
I caught this movie on TCM about a month ago at 3am when my insomnia was keeping me up. Its a very different romantic story but I really loved it. Not to mention Robert Taylor is pretty hot :) Its one of those man meets woman... they fall in love... he gets deployed... she thinks hes dead but hes not... then he comes back. Although there is a twist. I won't spoil it for you but its quite interesting. And its funny how they got around the production code in this film.


Duel (1971)
An early Steven Spielberg film. Its a very simple concept, a crazy semi-truck driver is trying to run this guy off the road. Good movie :)


The Last Starfighter (1984)
I read this book when I was younger and I loved the movie. Its on TV a lot. This movie proves that video games can come in handy sometimes... they can help you save the universe.


Harvey (1950)
In my mind, how can you go wrong with Jimmy Stewart and a giant invisible rabbit? This is a heartwarming funny movie and its worth being checked out if you are a fan of Jimmy Stewart.


The Children (1980)
When I was 4 or 5 my dad went out to the store or the gas station or something and I was flipping through the television channels and came across what I could remember as the scariest movie I had ever seen, and I only saw about five minutes of it. I didn't know what it was called all I knew was that it was about kids and that when they touched you, you died. Well a couple of months ago I was looking through some Netflix watch instantly movies and came across this one... IT WAS THE MOVIE I SAW AS A KID!! So I watched it, ready to be terrified and basically laughed throughout the entire movie. I guess they were right when they said most horror films are terrible 'B' movies.


The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
This film was remade and called "Poseidon" a couple of years ago and it sucked. The original was MUCH better... but thats the way it always is right? I watched this movie growing up and it always put me on edge even though I knew what was going to happen. Great cast and great movie! What would you do if your cruise ship capsized and you couldn't get out?


The Beastmaster (1982)
Well, I love animals so a fantasy movie about a guy who can talk to them was awesome when I was growing up!! Though, I feel bad for the tiger in the movie cause they painted him black. If you like 1980s sci-fi/fantasy movies (oh, you know those are the best kind) you'll like this movie. Its much better (in my opinion) than that stupid TV series they made about this movie.


So, there it is. My list of completely random movies that I've seen that many other people have never even heard of. Most of them are "awesomely bad" movies but some of them are legit. If you check any of them out or have seen any of them before let me know!! :)

5 comments:

  1. This blog is wonderful, Becky. I knew you were into movies, but I had no idea it went this far. This is an impressive list. You really know some obscure stuff. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't seen more than half the movies you listed, although I added nine of them to my Netlix queue. I'll definitely make Annie watch a few of them with me.

    I can't wait to read your top ten lists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen any of them. :( I'm thinking of adding some to my never-ending Netflix queue though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayleigh, you haven't seen ANY of them? Sadness. Its not on Netlfix yet but you should check out Drop Dead Fred if you ever get a chance... I KNOW you'd like that one for sure. Most of these are on Netflix, some even that you can stream on your computer there are only a few that aren't availble yet.

    Eric, which ones did you add? And which ones have you seen? Yeah, I am REALLY into film, I guess I just kinda hide in on the surface. I am still working on the top ten lists and I am going to try to get them out there as soon as possible but its taking more work than I anticipated! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only one I've seen is Drop Dead Fred! I have a very weak stomach and to big of an imagination for horror movies. Although, The Children is something I would love to watch. I have you seen Children of the Corn or People Under the Stairs? Two very good, yet crappy and laugh-out-loud movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added these:

    RAVENOUS
    CEMETERY MAN
    WESTWORLD
    NIGHT OF THE LEPUS
    THEY LIVE
    WATERLOO BRIDGE
    HARVEY
    THE CHILDREN
    THE LAST STARFIGHTER

    These are the ones I've seen or partially seen on TV:

    DUEL
    THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE
    THE DREAM TEAM
    THE LAST STARFIGHTER
    THE BEASTMASTER
    DROP DEAD FRED

    I'll notify you whenever I watch one of the movies from your list. Should be a good time.

    ReplyDelete